2018 Boone County Republican Party Platform
Adopted at the Boone County Republican Convention
March 10, 2018
The Republican Party of Iowa is comprised of many individuals who have differing opinions on some issues. As citizens of the United States of America and members of the Republican Party, we share many common beliefs and goals. We believe these common ideals provide the best framework for guiding this county, state, and nation into the future.
As Republicans we uphold the principles of individual responsibility and liberty, adherence to traditional moral standards, a strong national defense, a free enterprise system, respect for the sanctity of human life, and freedom of religion and the free exercise thereof. We believe in retaining the original intent of our Constitution. We believe high moral character is a necessity for public servants. The highest standard of character should be embodied in both private and public life. We encourage the proliferation of these principles and their passage to future generations.
Section A – Agriculture
- We support the family farm and increased efforts to convert and incorporate farm products into value-added products.
- We believe agriculture should operate with the least governmental regulations possible while maintaining quality products and environmental safety.
- We support long-range agricultural policies that foster agricultural development through the use of the free market system on a worldwide basis.
- We support the production and use of ethanol, bio-mass and bio-diesel. We believe the federal and state governments should also support their production and use.
- We oppose any laws prohibiting and /or restricting Iowans from selling farm products directly from the farm to the consumer.
- Aggressive efforts must be made at all levels to open new markets and expand existing markets for U.S. agricultural products.
Section B – Economy, Spending and Taxes
- We believe less government is better government. We support every reasonable effort on the part of government at every level to limit taxing and spending. We believe the purpose of taxation is to fund the constitutionally mandated functions of government, not to ‘redistribute the wealth’, or to fund ever increasing social programs. We should always strive to have less government, fewer government employees and lower taxes, as well as no new forms of tax.
- The U.S. Congress should be required to pass a balanced budget every year.
- We propose that the 16th amendment, which allows the United States Government to lay and collect taxes on income from whatever source derived, and the inheritance tax, be abolished and replaced with a Fair Tax or National Sales Tax.
- Congress should fully fund Veteran’s benefits.
- We decry all predatory and abusive lending practices and call for passage and vigorous enforcement of laws against it.
Section C – Government
- We reaffirm that our Founding Fathers established the United States as a representative republic under God to be bound by the constitution wherein the just authorities and powers of government are defined. Therefore, we call for the return to Constitutional Government in accordance with the original intent of our Founding Fathers.
- We assert the original and historical reading of the Constitution guarantees protections for the people against uncontrolled government overreach. It establishes the government as the servant of the people. It is defined in the “Enumerated Powers” in simple and explicit language exactly what authority is bestowed on the government by the people. All other unspecified powers are retained in the hands of the citizens of the United States.
- The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says Congress shall not interfere with the free exercise of religion. It does not give courts the authority to redefine these rights or to invent a wall of separation. We insist upon the right to pray as we choose, to worship as we choose, and to display our full cultural heritage, including those portions deemed religious in nature, without hindrance.
- We oppose expanding gambling of any kind in Iowa. We support a ban on allowing people to take cash advances on credit cards at casinos and gambling establishments in Iowa.
- We support a constitutional amendment to define marriage as the union between one man and one woman. We also support giving Iowa citizens the right to vote on whether gay marriages should be allowed or not.
- We support adoption only by heterosexual married couples consisting of one man and one woman. We oppose any law that infringes on the stated beliefs of any faith- based adoption agencies. We favor improving, strengthening and simplifying the adoption process so more children can be adopted successfully.
- We the American people will not allow any judge to willfully legislate from the bench in violation of either the US or Iowa constitutions. Any judge who does should be impeached and removed from office.
- We reaffirm the Second Amendment as the right of individual, law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. We support a federal concealed carry reciprocity act.
- We believe all crimes are an offense to society and oppose the designation of “hate crimes”. We oppose any special legislation, special rights, or privileges or minority status for persons based on sexual orientation.
- We support enforcement of existing Federal obscenity and pornography laws.
- We oppose extending voting rights to convicted felons until the felon has paid his debt to society including monetary restitution and/or incarceration.
- We support passing legislation that would more narrowly define the instances for eminent domain to be invoked by any level of government.
- We support the elimination of waste and fraud across all agencies of the Federal Government in order to eliminate the debt.
- We support laws to prohibit the use of cameras or other unmanned devices for traffic enforcement, such as red light and speed trap cameras.
- We support legislation to eliminate same-day voter registration and require registration 30 days prior to any primary, caucus, and/or election as well legislation requiring voters to demonstrate their legal ability to participate in the electoral process with a state-accepted valid photo identification.
- We support amending the Constitution to limit the terms of U.S. Senators to 2 terms for a total of 12 years and to limit members of the U.S. House of Representatives to 6 terms for a total of 12 years.
- We recognize the Constitution of the United States as the supreme law of the land. It may not be superseded by any other system of laws, foreign or domestic, including Sharia Law, and may not be amended by judicial decree or executive order, but only through the procedures described therein.
- We support a full and complete audit of the Federal Reserve.
- The NSA (National Security Administration) shall be required to have an individualized warrant for electronic surveillance that directly or indirectly targets or collects data on American citizens or residents. Such surveillance should be treated as a search under the Fourth Amendment.
Section D – Right to Life
- We move the Iowa Republican Party aggressively support a Life Begins at Conception Bill without exceptions. We believe that all human beings, from conception to natural death, have a God-given and constitutionally protected right to life, which cannot be infringed. We believe all such issues belong under the constitutional authority of the state, not federal government. We oppose using public revenues for abortion or funding organizations which advocate it. We commend those who provide alternatives to abortion by meeting the needs of mothers and offering adoption services. We reaffirm our support for appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from people with disabilities, including newborns, as well as the elderly and infirmed, just as we oppose active and passive euthanasia and assisted suicide.
- Embryonic stem-cell research and human cloning should be unlawful. We support adult stem cell research and other research that does not take the life of the unborn.
- We assert the law is already clear that any unlawful termination of a pregnancy while in commission of a crime is murder. In order to be consistent with this law, we believe the willful termination of a viable pregnancy is also murder.
Section E – Education
- Raising academic standards begins with increasing local control and accountability to parents. We recognize that under the American Constitutional system, education is a state, local and family responsibility, and should not be under Federal jurisdiction.
- We advocate choice in education. We believe the best education begins at home. We believe parents have the right to choose government, private, home, or alternative education for their children without governmental interference. We believe in the use of school vouchers to support this choice.
- We believe that to provide a choice, creation science – science that shows the existence of the world and of humans is the result of intentional, creative acts of a superior intelligence or being – should be taught in all schools. Additionally, we recommend that tax-funded libraries include creation science materials on their bookshelves.
- We support voluntary teacher or student lead prayer in the schools and use of the Bible should be allowed as a local option.
- We strongly advocate the principles of abstinence as a part of healthy childhood development and as a way to prevent unwanted pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases. To implement this principle, we encourage the teaching of this discipline as part of the public school sex education curriculum. We oppose the distribution of condoms in public schools.
- We support displaying the Ten Commandments and the American flag along with the daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in its entirety in Iowa schools and classrooms.
- We oppose implementation and funding the educational curricula such as the Common Core State Standards and believe curriculum content should be under the control of the local school districts. We oppose collection or sharing of personal student data for any non-educational purpose without prior parental consent.
- We oppose ratification of the “so called” United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child which interferes with parental rights to direct the upbringing and education of their children.
Section F – Health Care
- We support the repeal of the Affordable Healthcare Act and encourage responsible tort reform.
- We support reinstating the conscience clause where doctors, nurses and pharmacists won’t be forced to participate in abortions or forced to give contraceptives if they object on moral or religious grounds.
- We believe that AIDS should be classified as a communicable disease and treated as such under current law. We favor requiring the reporting of AIDS carriers and felony prosecution of any carrier who willfully exposes another person. We support mandatory reporting of AIDS/HIV by all health-care professionals and support patient access to the results of those tests. We support the right of all health care and mortician professionals to have knowledge of the AIDS/HIV status of patients prior to providing services.
Section G – Immigration
- We support ensuring only legal U.S. citizens are allowed to vote or to receive Welfare, Social Security, Medicare orany other government benefits. Individuals must be a U.S. citizen to be counted in the census.
- We support legal immigration and common sense improvements to our immigration process, strict enforcement of our current immigration laws, securing of our borders and punishing employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.
- We support English as the official language of the United States.
- We believe that a child born in the United States of illegal aliens should not be granted automatic citizenship.
- We call for the strict enforcement of current immigration laws, and support additional funding for ICE to find and repatriate illegal aliens, secure our borders, provide for adequate background checks and supervision of people applying for citizenship, green cards or visas.
- Illegal immigrants who commit felonies should be deported.
Section H – National Defense/Foreign Policy
- We believe that one of the Government’s primary roles is to maintain an adequate military force to secure the borders of the U.S., to carry out and enforce government policies, and to protect national interest. To accomplish this we believe the U.S. should provide adequate funds to maintain a military force capable of protecting U.S. sovereignty .
- We support continued economic and military support for Israel.
- We commend and support the American troops who defend us and stand against all those who attempt to defame them.
- No solider should be called upon to spill his or her blood in an undeclared war.
- We support legislation that provides proper and timely care for our United States military veterans and active service members.
Section I – Energy/Environment
- We support the use of all forms of energy, with appropriate safeguards, to protect the environment in order to cut our current dependence on foreign oil which makes us vulnerable to dangerous dictators. We support drilling for oil across America, including coastal waters.
- We are against mandating the sale of biofuels such as ethanol blended gasoline, biodiesel, and E85.
- We are opposed to a carbon tax that would threaten jobs and our free enterprise market system.
- We believe we should be good stewards of the land and support unbiased considerations of environment impact and efforts to increase conservation of resources, reduce pollution and loss of plant and animal biodiversity.
- The Clean Water Act (CWA) regulates the “discharge of pollutants.” We oppose changing the wording, meaning of definition of navigable waters in the CWA, the removal of the term “navigable waters” from the CWA and any attempt to broaden the reach of the CWA. Federal CWA jurisdiction should be limited to navigable streams and flowing waterways that have continuous flow 365 days a year.